Recipe courtesy of Russ Mayfield and Paola Mayfield
Coquitos are a Puerto Rican cocktail that’s classically made with rum, coconut milk and cream of coconut. Russ learned to make these coquitos from the couple’s midwife while Pao was pregnant (and not imbibing herself). Because Pao is vegan, Russ created a vegan version of the drink using all coconut milk products for her to enjoy after their baby was born. Cheers!
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes (includes chilling time)
Ease of preparation: Easy
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Puerto Rican light rum
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One 15-ounce can cream of coconut
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, well shaken
- One 12-ounce can evaporated coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract, optional
- Pinch grated nutmeg, optional
Add the rum, cinnamon, cream of coconut, sweetened condensed coconut milk, shaken coconut milk, evaporated coconut milk, vanilla extract if using and the nutmeg if using to a blender. Blend until fully combined. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 4 days.
To serve, pour into shot glasses (over ice if desired) and sip.
Note: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. It has not been tested for home use.