10 Things to Do When You Are Mentally Drained
Motivation to get back!
You have a to-do list that is a mile long. Rather than tackling the list, you are staring at your computer, considering yet another cup of coffee, and dreaming of how you can catch a nap. We all hit a mental wall from time to time, and on the days you cannot stop the world, here's ten simple ticks to get your brain power back.
- Practice Self-Care- Start taking care of yourself. Make sure you are eating well, drinking water, and giving yourself a break so you can rest and regroup. Self-care is essential to breaking through the mental drain and becoming motivated again.
- Exercise- Get your body and your brain working with a short workout. Sure it can be hard to motivate yourself when you're feeling mentally drained, but lacing up your shoes for a quick walk or taking a yoga class can help you feel more prepared to focus on your work.
- Change Up Your Routine- Even if you are a creature of habit, changing up your routine can help you to feel less drained and ready to work.
- Learn to Say No- Prioritize what needs to be done and what you can decline. Learn to say no when asked to put more responsibility on your plate.
- Disconnect- When you're feeling mentally drained and avoiding work and responsibility, it can be easy to spend your time mindlessly looking at social media or the internet. Give your brain and your eyes a rest by disconnecting. You'll feel recharged and able to focus on important tasks after a hiatus from your devices.
- Meditate- Go to a quiet room, close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths. Focus on yourself and calming all of the distractions in your life through a few minutes of meditation.
- Connect with Friends- Make plans with friends so you have something to look forward to and you're your focus off being mentally drained.
- Sleep- A few bad nights of sleep can lead you to feeling drained for days. Turn off your TV and your devices early in the evening and put yourself to bed. Try to keep a consistent sleep schedule even on the weekends.
- Organize Your Space- If your workspace or home is a disaster, it can feel overwhelming and distracting. Take some time to organize your desk at work and the most important rooms in your home. When your space is clear, your mind can be clear too.
- Reflect- How long have you been feeling mentally drained? Have you tried different changes in your life but to no avail? Is there one particular part of your life that causes you to feel mentally drained? Once you have answers, you can start making life changes.